The History of The Ancient House in Woodbridge
Woodbridge office is housed in one of the most beautiful and historical locations in the town. The Ancient House is a classic example of an early Tudor structure with a frontage from the 16th Century.
During the time of the Armada in 1588, Woodbridge was a centre for ship building, which meant that wood, especially oak, was in good supply in the area. Local historians therefore feel that much of the wood used for the extensive oak panelling, the elaborate staircase and the heavy exposed beams came from the off cuts no longer needed at the dock yard.
The Ancient House (St. Withburga) has been a listed building since January 1951 and in its long history has been a coaching Inn, a pork butchers and then in the 1930's it was restored and converted into a private residence. It is now our home and makes a comfortable and practical office space, whilst still retaining its historic charm and many of its original features.